Thursday, May 26, 2005

The final chapter.

Well, here we are, at the end of this goddamn thing.

I guess the best thing to do is save the horseshit, and let you guys know, well- what happened to me.

That was the point of this whole thing, right?

As I stated yesterday, Julie had left me a message on the mirror telling me that she had kidnapped Scott, I assumed at gunpoint, seeing as one of the shotguns was missing, and that I had to meet her on the Williamsburg bridge, which whether she knew it or not, was the place where all this started for me.

She wanted to meet at 8:00, which meant that by the time I got there, she'd be changing soon, and I wouldn't have much time. I was fairly convinced that I wasn't going to change, but still, I was nervous about being out on that bridge again.

At 7:30, I grabbed the duffel bag with the other shotgun and put on the iPod, so I could talk to Dan on the walk up. It was nice to check in:

"So- what do you think, Kirk? How are you feeling?"

A little nervous, I guess- I mean, this plan- if it doesn't work-

"It'll work. It's got to work. I mean, you trust Alyssa, right?"

Yeah, I guess- I just don't know- if Julie changes before we can pull this off-

"Well, then- you'll be dead, and she'll bite somebody else, and with any luck you'll end up in this iPod with me. Then, who knows, maybe the new werewolf will find us, and we can help him- I dunno..fight crime."

What?

"Sorry. Just trying to lighten the mood."

Well quit it. I'd like to say something to you.

"Oh Jesus."

No, stop it- I just want to say that if this doesn't work, well- buddy, it's been- well...

"If you say fun, I swear to God I'll figure out a way to inhabit another human body just so I can kick you square in the nuts."

No- no- not fun, I dunno, I guess- an adventure.

"Jesus, you're a pussy."

You never give me a break, do you?

"It's for your own good. Don't sweat it."

Yeah, well- for what it's worth thanks. I'm getting up to the bridge now- cross your fingers.

"I don't have fingers, remember? If I did, I'd be flipping you off right now."

Yeah, well... whatever- here's hoping that we can take care of this bitch, and send you on your way.

"Thanks Kirk... If it works out, I'll see you on the other side."

Yeah- Oh, one more thing- if you actually do move on to another plane, does that mean that this iPod will actually play music?

"How the fuck should I know?"

I dunno, I mean, shit- you're the one trapped in it, and if you move on, it'd be nice to have an iPod is all.

"You're a twisted fuck."

Yeah, well- good luck.

"Good luck to you too Kirk."



I took off the iPod and started walking up the bridge from the Williamsburg side. As I got halfway up, I turned the corner at the midpoint of the walkway and heard Julie's voice.

"Stop right there!"

She was standing in the middle of the walkway, with the shotgun leveled at Scott's head. He was tied up, had a gag in his mouth and had been beaten badly; his left eye was swollen up pretty good. I slid the shotgun halfway out of the duffel bag, and she saw me.

"Drop it!"

I dropped it.

"Let him go!" I yelled.

"Oh- I'll let him go. You're going to need something to eat when the moon rises." She grabbed Scott by the ropes around his hands and threw him to the ground. "Stop it" I said, he's innocent in all this. And I told you. I figured it out. I don't change anymore." I walked towards Scott, and Julie put the shotgun to his head. "Oh, you don't change? Really? You're a killer, Thomson. Like I am. Why can't you embrace that?"

Finally, she had said the magic words. Now was my chance.

"You're a killer, Julie? Tell me, who have you killed?"

"Who have I killed, I've torn more people limb from limb than you can possibly imagine. I'm a beast, an animal, and you'll see- soon." She turned her head towards the skyline, which was already darkening. The moon was rising.

"No Julie-" I said, "Not how many people has the WOLF killed. How many have YOU killed? Personally. As a human being. If you were really a killer, you'd pull that trigger right now. But you know what? I don't think you have the guts."

Scott looked up at me with horror, and moaned through his gag.

Julie fixed me with a glare, the evil behind her eyes shining.

"Really. You think I'm not a killer? Well watch this!"

She leveled the shotgun at Scott's back, squeezed the trigger, and as I was yelling the word "NO!" it was drowned out by the boom of the gun. Scott's body was blasted forward onto the cement of the bridge. As his body fell, I ran forward and tackled her, slamming her against a pylon of the bridge.

Now, it was time to run.

I headed down the bridge towards the Manhattan side, with her chasing about 30 feet behind me. I looked up and saw the full moon. This was it. The moment of truth. I looked at my hands.

Nothing.

I stopped running for a moment and took in the moon. It was time. I turned back and saw Julie, who had also stopped running. Looking directly at me, she peeled her sweatshirt off, and stood topless in the light of the moon. She leaned against the bridge, and started to unbutton her jeans, getting ready to transform.

I looked at the moon again, and then back to Julie.

"What's the problem?" I asked, walking back to where she stood.

Her face was transfixed by fear. She looked at the moon, which was full, and back at her hands. Nothing was happening.

"What...what is happening to me?"

"I can tell you what's happening. You have committed murder. As a human being. All you wanted most in the world was to change into a monster. Well you have. You've murdered another human being, and now you no longer require change. Alyssa was right. You have become a monster, Julie, which is what you've always wanted to be. So now- unfortunately for you, you're cured."

She looked up, and her eyes were filled with tears.

"Cry all you want, monster. Congratulations."

Silently, she rose to her feet, took a running start and leapt off the bridge. Her body made a soft slapping sound as it hit the water.

It was almost over.

I had to check on Scott.

Running back up the bridge to where he was, I saw him squirming on the pavement. I untied him, removed his gag, and he punched me in the face.

"What the fuck was that!" He screamed at me.

"Rocksalt. Alyssa always had it rocksalt shells around, so I loaded the guns with it, and just hoped that she'd try to kill someone with it."

"But why?"

"Because Alyssa's theory was right. One cannot change into a werewolf unless one desires radical change in their lives. What I wanted more than anything else was to get out of the situation I was in. When I accepted it, and embraced it, I got over this bullshit. What Julie wanted more than anything else was to be a killer. I gambled that if she thought she had killed someone, it would be enough. And it was. I'm sorry it had to be you."

"Where is she now?"

"She's gone. Now let's get you to a hospital."

I pulled out my cell phone, dialed 911, and threw the other shotgun into the water. Scott sat slumped on the side of the bridge, and I realized I had one more thing to check on.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the iPod.

I put it in my ears and said:

Dan? Dan... you there?

And then- nothing.

He was gone.

He made it. He fucking made it.
Way to go, buddy.

I walked back up to where Scott was sitting, told him that the paramedics were on their way, and said goodbye, walking back across the bridge to Williamsburg under a bright full moon.

This night, I made it to the other side.

And that's the story, folks- I hope you enjoyed it.

I mean, I guess I could keep this thing going if you guys really want to hear about my next shift at the video store or what I thought about the new Star Wars movie (it sucked), but I dunno- I think the story has been told.

So thanks for your comments, your interest, and coming and checking this thing out for the past 8 months.

I couldn't have done it without you.

But for now, I'm tired and I'm going home.

I still gotta figure out how to get that fucking cow down the stairs.

-Kirk Thomson







P.S.
If you want to read the story of this blog, why it got started, and what's happening next, feel free to click this link .

Or don't. This is kind of a nice ending, I think.

9 Comments:

At 10:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Full moon, full circle.

Congratulations on figuring out the answer to your blog title, and to everything else that has led up to this point.

Too bad I can't go back and properly sign all the comments I've left.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Gonna miss your charming spiel on how good (or bad) life is treatin' ya. Take care, and good luck.

:)

 
At 10:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story! I enjoyed your artistic ability. If you ever feel the need to write more adventures in a few months, i'll like to read them. Good luck in what ever you do next!

 
At 4:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good move.

It was fun. I'll really miss this.

 
At 5:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really going to miss this blog. It's been a fascinating eight months following your story, Kirk. Goodbye and good luck.

 
At 7:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story - Thanks for the link to the explanation of the blog. I will most certainly read it.

Good luck in all your endeavors and thanks for keeping us entertained for so many months!

 
At 8:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have mail.

Faustus

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger Susie Felber said...

Awesome dude. Way to come out of the closet.

You had me at "bitten by that wolf thing."

 
At 6:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

well its been great kirk, I'm really sad to see ya' go, but happy for you at the same time.

thanks, its been fun.

 
At 9:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. What a ride this blog has been. Thanks for sharing what's been happening to you - now it's for the rest of us to ask the question, what is happening to me...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home